Forum Home Forum Home > General > Madeleine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMore of the real thing!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lulu View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More of the real thing!
    Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:08pm
Greetings Forum Members

It has been a rare pleasure these past few weeks to learn of other links
with new links to live recordings of Madeleine performing.

Edward thank you in particular to the link to the live footage from Italy.
That was great.

To attest to Madeleine's ability to perform live please see the link below
to a live show Madeleine gave at the Living Room in NYC last year when
she first began the promotion of Careless Love.

As a live performance there are some aspects of the gig which are more
raw than a studio recording - the more I listen to it the more I prefer the
organic feel to her live rendition. And in my view this recording will
dispell any doubt you may have that the sensual nature of Careless Love
and the extraordinary quality of Madeleine's voice is a studio thing.

http://wfuv.venaca.com/archive/4351.asx

Enjoy and please continue the sharing.

Lulu
kobe View Drop Down

Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 6:54am

Hello Lulu,

I couldn't agree more about what a pleasure this forum has been this last few weeks and this link you put here certainly made my day today. I have yet to see madeleine perform myself because I was unable to attend the last time she came to my area. Yet, through you and the other wonderful folks on this forum I have been able to hear a number of live recordings.

I believe that Madeleine has one of the truly great voices of our time and I am delighted to hear it in any venue, live or otherwise. I also NEVER expect a live performance to sound like a recording. There are many things that effect a live performance the physical such as the room, audience, equipment setup and recording equipment and the mental on the parts of the performers such as their ability to gel, noise levels or their frame of mind that night. I also like live performances for the aspects of improvisation that happen.

Thanx again for this great link.

Ron Kobe

ronkobe
Edward View Drop Down

Quote Edward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 4:10pm
Hello Lulu,
thank you for the link to the Living Room show. I greatly appreciated listening to the music.
I would like to share with you all my experience concerning Madelein's music and all has been said about differences and abilities.
In general I don't think differences between records and gigs are so important. I love Careless Love and I know inside those tracks there's a perfection that cannot be matched live. Frankly I don't care how much this perfection depend on technologic tricks. The first time I fell in love with Madeleine music was long time ago when I heard the beautiful Life Is Fine  on Rainer Ptacek Tribute "The Inner Flame". It was "just" a dobro guitar and her voice, but that was perfection and, most of all, it was the incredible charm of a wonderful voice that sounded like it was coming form an old 78  record as it had travelled through the time to reach you. When I saw Madeleine live, early this year, I had the same impression. Surely she'll never be able to  win an opera  contest; her voice sounds weak and at times it seems like she's struggling to reach the perfect note, but maybe she also plays on that, and it's part of her style and timing. But the show was rewarding and, most of all, plenty of feeling. Everybody was listening quietly and when Madeleine sang This Is Heaven To Me it really was close to the Eden. We are used to be surrounded by loud music and people who screams trying to reach your attention and buy your esteem. It seems Madeleine doesn't care about. you need to listen carefully and be prepared to judge just the moment. I know this don't work for everybody, and everybody has a good reason for their feelings. In my case I don't care. I think the core of music are emotions, and I've found many in Madeleine music, even if sometimes it seems there's something strange going on. When she finally came out for an encore and played LA vie en rose, alone with her guitar, in such an humble way but, at the same time, with the authority of a great artist, she met all my expectations.
Sorry for my english mistakes and thank you to all of you for sharing
Edward

Jules UK View Drop Down

Quote Jules UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2005 at 12:18pm
Hi Folks

It has been sometime since I have logged on to this site and I have been
delighted to find so many links to other sites with live recordings of
Madeleine. Prompted by this little treasure trove I have be been surfing
the web for more archived stuff from the last year and beyond and was
delighted to find this link to KCRW a radio station based in California.

There are three interviews and live recordings with Madeleine from 1996
/ 1997 and earlier this year. Check it out they are great.

http://kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=mb&air_date=2/1 8/
05&tmplt_type=show

I join Edward in thanking you all for sharing these links.

Seasonal Greetings.

Cheers - Jules
 Post Reply Post Reply